It saddens me to hear about many failed marriages. People try to find similar characteristics of those individuals in their spouses, they are comfortable with. They compare their spouses with their family members and friends and thereby kill the uniqueness of their relation. Here are few suggestions to fuel happiness in your married life till eternity.
- Uniqueness– As a couple, apprehend that you are special and unique. Your story is unique. Your circumstances and experiences are unique. Opportunities and threats in your relation will be unique too. Your relation is a journey. Live through every moment. Don’t try to emulate experiences of your siblings, parents and friends. They have their own journey, which is different from yours.
- Time– No matter how busy you are, take some time out for each other. Quality time, no matter how long or short span, spent together rejuvenates the relationship.
- Individuality – As a couple, you will often be considered as a single unit. However, remember that you two are different individuals and have different identities. There can be disagreement. There can be a difference of opinion. Embrace these differences for they are reasons for your exciting life, saves you from monotony. You didn’t marry your clone, so you are bound to experience variations. Accept each other’s individuality.
- Communication– Doesn’t matter what medium you choose but communicate as often as possible. Silence is golden but the silence of couples is not gold but the silence that kills relationships. Communicate to destroy gossips. If you will not communicate, others will, not for you but about you. Your spouse must be kept aware of everything about you that might affect the course of your relation.
- Love & Respect– Love is the strength of your relation. Love each other without reason. Don’t look for occasions to express your love. Express it in your small ways, all the time. Your love is a reason for your family (next generation); your family is not a reason for your love. It is sad to hear people saying that they are living together for the sake of future of their kids and not because they are in love with each other.
- Trust– Trust each other and stay loyal. Trust and loyalty are glues that keep the relation together. If you cannot trust one another your marriage will eventually dissolve, doesn’t matter how much you love each other. Love without trust is like music without rhythm.
Long and happy marriage is not a destination. It is work-in-progress. It requires sincere and honest effort from both the individuals involved in it. Living together should not be a social responsibility. It must not be out of fear of societal revolt. It must not be a compulsion or a duty. It must be passion. It must be fun and enjoyment. And more importantly, it must help you grow – together and individually.
Do you think these tips will help you improve the quality of your married life? Is there anything else you like to suggest? We like to hear from you. Share your feedback and stories.